Monday, November 12, 2012

Business School....On Hold


I have made the decision today to put Business School....On Hold and pursue a graduate program @Stanford emphasizing in Mining Massive Data Sets. 

This decision is primarily based on:

  • Entrepreneurship: One of my reasons for enrolling in b-school was to learn about idea generation, incorporation, finance, marketing, operations, and strategy for new ideas or early stage ventures. Upon completing the Entrepreneurship track @Pepperdine Graziadio School of Business and Management, I have gained practical experience in forming my own startup.
  • Maker vs Manager: I love to work with people to create and deliver products. 
  • Leadership vs Management: My volunteer experience in non-profit world has taught me to lead with action, and inorder for you to act, one must be informed with practical working experience. I believe that technical leadership requires you to keep your skills sharp, and management simply is too distracting from this goal.
  • Opportunity Cost: The world of computer science has changed since I finished my graduate studies @USC in 2007. The amount of data has been growing exponentially, distributed systems require new algorithms and open source technologies. There's too much fun happening in this space, and I'm fascinated by what the future holds. 
  • Higher Education is broken: Higher education is expensive, long and is not preparing students for the jobs of today or tomorrow  I find myself spending 3 hours a night on Coursera & Udacity, learning about machine learning, distributed systems, and parallel programming. 
  • Networking: There are two life changing events in life...the people you meet and the books you read. Meetup is a great tool to network with professionals in your industry. I attend a few meetups a week, connecting and collaborating with intelligent/sincere people.
  • Focus: The biggest ingredient to failure is lack of focus. Focus on one thing, be great at it.
Looking back at my experiences in business school, it's been a great learning experience  I simply want to accelerate my learning and fail faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts